In the 14th century there was a community of Jews in Gibraltar, however this community was expelled during the Spanish Inquisition.
In 1713 Gibraltar became a British overseas territory and Jews were given the right to permanent settlement on the island in 1749. The community’s first Rabbi arrived from London, and several synagogues were built. The majority of the community came from the Sephardi Jewish population of Britain, Spain, or Morocco.
During the Second World War the island of Gibraltar was used as a base for Allied forces and all civilians who were not employed in essential work were evacuated from the island. Amongst them was the Jewish population of Gibraltar. After the war, most of Gibraltar’s Jews chose to return to the island.
The majority of Gibraltarian Jews still follow Sephardi customs. The island is notable for its lack of antisemitism and a thriving Jewish community of about 700 people exists to this day.